Partner specialising in contentious and non-contentious banking, construction, engineering, infrastructure, project finance and energy-related matters; substantial experience of international commercial arbitration, including before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Paris and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Some recent matters include:
- acting for Bayinder Insaat Turizn Ticaret Ve Sanayi AS v Government of Pakistan: before the ICSID, Washington DC, in respect of Bayinder's $400m breach of contract claim against the Government of Pakistan;
- acting for Bayinder Insaat Turizn Ticaret Ve Sanayi AS v Joseph Vogele AG before the ICC, Paris in respect of the contractual claim of Joseph Vogele AG for 2.8m euros;
- currently representing the Astaldi-Ferrocemento Joint Venture in their $35m construction-related contractual claim against the National Highway Authority;
- represented SGS Société Générale de Surveillance SA up to the Supreme Court of Pakistan in respect of the Government of Pakistan's $187m breach of contract claim;
- acted as counsel to the Government of Pakistan in the transactions pertaining to the issuance of floating rate notes and the securitisation of receivables by the Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited;
- currently advising Karcon (Private) Ltd in development and construction of the approximately 55,000 square yards NHA Housing Society;
- advising Hakas (Private) Limited in their project involving the construction of a 60km dual carriageway and other projects involving real estate development and the construction of bridges etc;
- counsel for the sponsors/project company awarded the concession for the $289m 18km Karachi mass transit priority one corridor urban rail transportation project;
- counsel for the sponsors/project company setting up a 450 megawatt power station in Karachi.
Called to the Bar of England and Wales 1981; lectured in various areas of the law at the International Islamic University, Islamabad and various other institutions.
Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of Pakistan.
+92 51 2260 6014